Office Hours: TTh 12:30-1:30 p.m., and by appointment, Gregory 154

Class Meeting Time: TTh 9:30-10:45 a.m., Henkel 107

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

[Archive] Student Work Showcase and Congratulations to Brooke Hahne


Classmate Brooke Hahne wrote and performed the following poem at a Shenandoah student talent show in February. The same poem later won the 2013 Link Student Poetry Writing Contest Award. The poem is an interpretation of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado," which we studied in class this semester. According to Brooke, "it's from the POV of Fortunato, so it's a bit different." Take a read, below, and congratulate Brooke the next time you see her!

Cask of Dreams Forgotten: A Tribute

An Interpretation and Analysis of Edgar Allan Poe’s, “The Cask Of Amontillado”

By Brooke Hahne

There’s a light. There’s a light at the end of the tunnel,
But it’s disappearing and I fear I’ll never find my way back.
He led me down the catacombs then…
Left me with a cask, that was all.
And he left me in the dark, dusty dwelling I now call my grave.

So alone and afraid was I, that
The wall he built seemed to be closing in around me,
I was hallucinating, No…
It was closing in around me.
He was surrounding me with dry, decaying bricks and bones
of Paris past.

The dust, the dust and mortar were choking me. Killing me.

He left me with a cask of Amontillado,
That upon drinking I thought would sustain my life
Yet was full of his malicious immortality and
My delicious desires for a feeble friend.
I thought we’d leave together,
Yet he left me. Alone and afraid. Choking me. Killing me.

I, in turn, became the dust which killed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment